Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bucket of Diamonds




While I was standing on volcanic rock looking at the bluest water I had ever seen with the whitest beaches behind me and palm trees swaying in the wind, a fellow trainee walked up next to me and said, “We seem to have stumbled upon a bucket of diamonds, huh?” I think that pretty much sums up my first week in this beautiful country.
Saturday we had our Fiafia that the other PCV’s put on. I’m not really sure how else to describe this, but wonderfully filling and ridiculous. I met quite a few very unique people and it made me that much more excited about spending the next 2 years of my life here.
Sunday our schedule said “1000am - Cultural Exploration” This roughly translates to - get on a bus and hang out on one of the most gorgeous beaches you have ever seen. Our group spent the day swimming, sleeping in the beach fales (or thatched roof huts open to the breezes), trying to crack open coconuts on washed up coral, snorkeling, exploring, and just enjoying the serenity. I think the pictures might do a better job describing just how breath-taking this place actually was.
Tuesday started out a regular day with classes starting at 8am, but after lunch we were scheduled to have “Water Safety Training.” Well, obviously if you are going to live in Samoa you will need to know how to swim in currents and know what fish are poisonous, etc. So, if you are already working on all of that, why not take a boat out and go snorkeling on the coral reef? I love the Peace Crops’ logic. So we spent the afternoon Tuesday playing in the waves and the snorkeling. I would like to just say here that the ocean is so cool! Yes I already know what a dork I am, but seriously I have never seen so many beautiful fish! We also even saw a super poisonous stone fish, which is like a chameleon and blends in with whatever it is next to. Luckily we were with a few PCV’s who study marine biology and could point all these things out.
So, to sum it all up, life has been rough, send cookies. We will be heading to Ma’asina, our training village on Saturday. From what I have heard it is a gorgeous village right on the water. I am extremely excited to be in a rural area and live with a Samoan host family. So far I have yet to meet a Samoan who wasn’t smiling or eager to say hello. At any rate, no complaints here, but mail and care packages are always welcome. Could def use some decent coffee grounds for sure! Kisses to all!

2 comments:

Doug Young said...

Good work being badass and going to an awesome place. Keep blogging so I can read up on you. I am in my office in thailand and have so far had a redonk amount of time to surf the web. That will change soon as I am set to begin teaching 6 hrs a day. I don't know if this is a good place to communicate but what the hell. Have fun. miss you. keep it up.
D-YO

Anonymous said...

ello love. sounds like life is pretty rough out there. hang in there! LOVE YOU!- your favorite jew